Decedent Estates Attorney Los Angeles, CA
Experienced LA Probate Lawyers Help Clients Manage Decedent Estates in San Fernando Valley and Throughout California
Decedent estates refer to the property and assets that have been left behind by people who have passed away. How decedent estates are managed in probate and how the issues related to them are resolved, however, will depend on:
- Whether the decedent had a will or any other estate planning documents in place.
- Whether the majority of decedent estates include community property.
- Whether any challenges or disputes have arisen regarding decedent estates.
At the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman, our San Fernando Valley probate attorney has the experience you can rely on to help you successfully resolve all of the issues related to a decedent’s estate. Regardless of whether decedent estates are small or large, our trusted lawyer can help you navigate probate (or bypass it if possible), pay creditors, distribute assets and efficiently handle all other matters of a decedent’s estate.
How Decedent Estates Are Handled in Northridge Probate
In some cases, it may be possible to quickly resolve the issues related to a decedent’s estate because, for instance, there are minimal assets or most of the property is community property (and, therefore, will be passed on to a surviving spouse). However, when decedent estates pass through probate, as so many of them do, the following is the general process that will take place:
- A Petition for Probate is filed by the person requesting to be the personal representative of an estate or by that person’s attorney.
- Notice of the death and upcoming probate hearing is sent to all of the beneficiaries named by the decedent in his will (or other estate planning documents).
- A probate hearing takes place to determine the validity of the will (or other estate planning documents).
- The appointed personal representative manages the assets, property and debts of decedent estates and pays taxes for them. This part of the probate process can be complicated and time-consuming, depending on the size and specifics of the decedent estate being probated.
- A report must be filed with the court to ensure that all of the estate’s debts and taxes have been paid.
- The assets of the decedent estate will be distributed to the appropriate beneficiaries.
While this may seem like a straightforward process, it’s important that people realize that any number of factors or issues can make probating decedent estates complicated and that having an experienced attorney there to guide them through the process will be critical to completing it with minimal costs, stress and legal disputes.
Mission Hills Probate and Estate Planning Attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman
Are you preparing to probate a loved one’s estate? Or do you want to devise an estate plan that helps your loved ones bypass probate? If so, the trusted San Fernando Valley probate and estate planning attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman is here for you. For more than 38 years, our San Fernando Valley estate planning attorney has been committed to providing his clients with personalized, highly responsive service, as well as superior representation for their important probate and estate planning matters.
Contact North Hills Probate Lawyer Today to Discuss Managing a Decedent Estate in California
Let’s talk about your probate and estate planning needs today. You can contact our firm by calling (818) 462-8355 or by filling out the contact form on this page.
From our offices based in North Hills, we provide the highest quality legal services to our clients throughout the San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley, and the greater Los Angeles area.