The loss of a loved one can be as painful as it may be disorienting. This can make knowing who to contact when a loved one dies confusing and potentially overwhelming – especially if this is the first time a death has put you in a position to have to manage a decedent’s affairs.
Although every situation will be different, in general, here’s who should be contacted after a loved one passes away.
Here’s Who to Contact after a Death
- Law enforcement officials to get an official pronouncement of death (if necessary) and/or to have them periodically check on the decedent’s home (if it will be empty).
- The decedent’s loved ones to inform them of death – Here, it can be helpful to delegate the responsibility of calling family members to other loved ones (via a phone tree, etc.).
- The decedent’s bank(s) to check if (s)he had a safety deposit box (where the will may be located).
- The investment advisor and/or accountant of the decedent to find out more about the extent of the decedent’s financial holdings.
- The insurance company that issued the decedent’ life insurance policy to find out more regarding filing a claim (if the decedent had life insurance coverage).
- The Social Security Administration to find out about potential death benefits (and/or to stop the payment of other benefits, such as disability and/or retirement benefits).
- An experienced estate administration and probate attorney for professional advice regarding the next steps to take.
San Fernando & Santa Clarita Probate Attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman
Do you need help administering an estate or getting through probate? If so, the trusted San Fernando & Santa Clarita probate attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman is here for you. For more than 38 years, our San Fernando & Santa Clarita probate attorney has been dedicated to providing his clients with personalized, highly responsive service, as well as superior representation for their important legal matters.
When people make the smart choice to move forward with San Fernando & Santa Clarita Probate Attorney Darrell C. Harriman, they can be assured that they will:
- Receive clear answers and information about their case.
- Have an experienced, skilled lawyer listening and responding to their legal concerns.
- Have the optimal chances of bringing their legal issues to a successful resolution.
Contact Us Today
Let’s talk about your legal needs today. You can contact our firm by calling (818) 946-0412 or by filling out the contact form on this page.
From our offices based in North Hills, we provide the highest quality legal services to our clients throughout the San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley, Sata Clarita and the greater Los Angeles area.