When a loved one dies, starting to deal with the business of the will is, unfortunately, something that will have to be done. To do this, however, you first have to find it – and that can be harder than expected.
Where to Look for a Will
If you find yourself on the hunt for a loved one’s will, here are a few places to look for it:
- Home files – Although this may be obvious, it’s important to point out because grief can seriously disrupt clear thinking. So, start looking in the home files of the person who passed away (or the decedent). And be sure to look in both paper and electronic/computer files. You may even want to check emails to look for correspondence to/from an attorney who helped draft or revise the will.
- An attorney – If you are able to track down the estate attorney who worked on the will, contact this professional and ask if he or she has a copy of the most recent version of it.
- A safety deposit box – If your name is not on the safety deposit box, you will have to bring a death certificate to the bank to gain access to it (and you may need to bring additional documents, depending on the circumstances). If you are not sure whether your loved one has a safety deposit box, look at a recent bank statement to see if (s)he had been paying rental fees for a safety box.
- The court – Some people choose to file their wills with the court, so don’t overlook this option.
If you still have not located this will after looking in these places:
- Try asking other loved ones to see if they may have some helpful information about where else to look or where the will may be.
- Contact an attorney for further assistance. An experienced lawyer can inform you about other ways to find the will, as well as what to expect if the will cannot be found.
Contact a Santa Clarita Estate & Wills Attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman
If you need help finding a will or resolving any estate or probate issue, a trusted Santa Clarita estate & wills attorney at the Law Offices of Darrell C. Harriman is here for you, ready to provide you with superior legal service. For more than 38 years, our attorneys have been dedicated to providing our clients with personalized, highly responsive service while bringing their important legal matters to favorable resolutions.
To talk about your case and legal needs today, contact our firm by calling (818) 946-0412 or by filling out the contact form on this page.
From our offices based in North Hills, we provide the highest quality legal services to our clients throughout the San Fernando Valley, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita and the greater Los Angeles area.